But lets all be honest: whether you're freshly back from Japan, or have been home for 5, 10, or 20 years, we all have a vast array of choices and priorities competing for our attention as we move forward with our post-JET lives.
Sustainable Leadership Struggles
JETAA Mid-South has struggled for years to attract leadership and build a sustainable pipeline of fresh leaders with fresh ideas. There is something very daunting about taking on the entire set of job duties of a "president" or "secretary" or "treasurer" that has discouraged interest in chapter leadership.
A New Structure | Mid-South Steering Committee
For the 2019 - 2020 fiscal year, JETAA Mid-South will be experimenting with a Steering Committee instead of rigid officer structures, which is truly more in line with our actual operations.
The Mid-South chapter is a small chapter with low active membership. With relatively few hands to share the work, it has long been the practice of our chapter officers to select, prioritize, and share chapter work based upon their availability and interests. For example:
- One of our former officers was passionate about introducing young children to Japan for the first time through library programs, whereas our current officer group has decided to discontinue the library programs in favor of activities that more directly support JET Program recruiting.
- Over the course of a year, we will reschedule events, or have one officer volunteer to be the primary on events if others are tied up with school exams, or large projects at work.
So What Can A Steering Committee Member Expect?
- Members of the Steering Committee are asked to join a regular monthly meeting (unless there are extenuating circumstances) for the duration of their 1 year term.
- At the meeting, members will discuss and propose upcoming events and JETAA administrative needs.
- Action items will be assigned to committee members based on interest, availability, and priority.
- Events/action items unable to be assigned by the end of the meeting will be rescheduled or cancelled.
- Required JETAA administrative needs left unsatisfied will be need to be assigned if a volunteer is not found.
I hope that this new Steering Committee format takes some of the perceived pressure out of being an "officer" of JETAA Mid-South, as we truly operate as a more fluid and collaborative committee.
Interested in Joining the Steering Committee?
If you're interested in joining the Steering Committee, visit the Steering Committee Selection page at jetaanola.com and complete the Expression of Interest form before March 15.
Hope to see you on the committee! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
President | JETAA Mid-South